close up mold sporesA musty smell throughout your home is usually one of the first signs of mold in your air ducts.  Mold presents many health problems to you and your family if not quickly remedied. Today’s post discusses why mold grows in underground air ducts and steps to take to correct it. It also highlights common health issues to look out for that can indicate mold is present in your home.

How exactly does mold grow in your underground air ducts? The short answer is moisture. Moisture finds a way into your ducts in several ways.  A naturally higher water table, broken pipes, incorrect landscape pitch and improperly installed downspouts all contribute to water entering your ducts.  Water in ducts creates high humidity that, when coupled with a dark environment, results in an ideal breeding ground for mold spores. Add in the dust, dander and other particles floating through your system and it has the perfect nutrition to thrive. The end result? Unhealthy air in your home that causes health issues as these mold spores enter the air.

According to the CDC, there are several issues continued inhalation of mold spores cause, including:

  • Allergies such as wheezing, coughing and sneezing.
  • Respiratory problems such as persistent cough, runny nose and wheezing.
  • Asthma, made worse for individual already suffering from it.
  • Infections such as recurring sinus infections.
  • Digestive problems, including vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Unusual skin sensations such as itchy rashes, bumps and numbness.

If your home is smelling musty or if you see or hear water in your underground ducts, give our team a call. Our technicians perform a drainage assessment of your home to uncover problem areas and provide you a report detailing our recommended steps to correct them. Once your water in ducts problem is solved, we recommend lining your ducts to permanently seal down the mold and prevent new mold growth.